Bee sting hypersensitivity in dogs

 

Spring is in full swing and that means our friends the bees are in peak activity. For families with dogs known to have severe allergic reactions to bee stings this time of year can be fraught with last minute dashes to the emergency centre and careful management of indoor/outdoor time.

Reactions to bee stings range from:
1) small, local = small area of inflammation around sting
2) large local = quite red, hot, itchy, quite large (many cms) around the sting
3) anaphylaxis –  a severe, potentially fatal, acute systemic allergic reaction (often within 60 seconds to 15 minutes of exposure). It is a true medical emergency.

Bee sting reactions usually escalate with subsequent stings and some dogs that are mildly allergic with the first few stings can later become anaphylactic. Once your dog has had an anaphylactic response they can undergo desensitization injections (as with any allergy) which will make them much less likely to have another anaphylactic response, (but never to zero – no one, even dogs who haven’t reacted before can be considered zero risk to have an anaphylactic reaction).

If your pet has a known anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting or a pattern of escalating reaction to bee sting then Veterinary immunologists recommend have an Epi-pen on hand. Your local veterinarian can teach you how to deliver the injection in an emergency.

Key recommendations:

 

 

 

 

What issues are you
having with your pet?